Pet Inspired. Employee Owned.
Make food that makes pets happy.
When we founded Freshpet, it was an opportunity to build something new. An innovative place to create the most real, fresh food for pets. A way to let employees own part of the company where they work. And a setting where each day is another chance to be inspired and do what’s best for Pets, People, and Planet. Are you ready to start fresh?
The responsibilities of the Technical Specialist may include, but are not limited to:
• Provide support to Production to solve complex operational challenges.
• Execute cost-savings projects under Lean Six Sigma principles.
• Manage key Freshpet manufacturing workflows (process change, trial process, etc).
• Identify and manage product and process improvement projects.
• Optimize formulas for process efficiency, quality, and cost within label guidelines.
• Provide direct technical support to Manufacturing, Quality, R&D, and Engineering teams
• Manage the testing and implementation of new ingredients, ingredient substitutions, new suppliers, and other ingredient-related contingencies.
• Assist suppliers with providing Freshpet with the highest quality ingredients possible through vendor testing and audits.
• Assists with equipment upgrades and new equipment needs.
• Maintain formula onboarding processes and procedures.
• Ensure that data in company systems remains relevant (i.e., updating part number descriptions, maintain Master formulations files, ingredient nutritional profiles).
• Update raw ingredient and finished goods specifications.
• Support New Product Launches by ensuring that formulas onboarded at one facility are successfully onboarded at other manufacturing sites.
• Act as a liaison between different departments to solve complex challenges.
• Support Manufacturing activities related to ingredient and product testing for improvement and specification development, as well as new product development activities.
• Support analytical equipment troubleshooting and liaise with equipment manufacturers as required.
• Perform/support benchtop, pilot plant, and factory trials.
• Assume additional related responsibilities, as necessary
• Minimum 5 years of experience in food/pet food analyses required, ideally 2 at Freshpet. • Must be able to formulate pet food. • Be able to learn Freshpet operating systems quickly (Mepaco, ERP, Concept 5, etc). • Must have advanced proficiency in Excel and other software systems. • Prior R&D, Engineering, and/or QA experience preferred. • Required to travel (0-40%) to various training programs, test runs, co-manufacturers, or suppliers. Travel mileage and meals will be compensated. • Excellent organizational skills, attention to detail, and capacity to multitask efficiently. • Ability to work in a team and adapt to dynamic work environment. • Ability to interact effectively with individuals at all levels of the organization. • Responds well to changing project priorities. • Independently carry out assignments, gather and review data, and communicate results. • Able to work with fresh raw meats and other raw and cooked food ingredients. • Must be able to work in a cold environment (40° F). • Strong critical thinking. • Proactive, able to identify opportunity projects and work independently but in alignment with business priorities. • Must have excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
• Bachelor’s Degree in science-related field (i.e. Food Science, Chemistry, Engineering, Animal Science, etc) and 5 years minimum industry experience, or equivalent technical qualifications, working in food or pet food manufacturing.
• PTO • 10 company paid holidays. • Medical/Dental/Vision Benefits • Company paid Basic/Accidental Life insurance • Company paid Short/Long term disability • Option for Employee paid Basic/Accidental Life insurance • Option for Employee paid Short/Long term disability • 401K – with up to 4% company match • Flexible Spending account • Restricted Stock Units • Tuition Reimbursement
We are Freshpet, a team of pet parents, pet lovers, and other folks dedicated to doing what’s best for Pets, People, and Planet. Our home office is in Secaucus, NJ. Our kitchen locations are in Bethlehem, PA and Ennis, TX. And our heart is in our work: Preparing the finest food for dogs and cats using only fresh, natural ingredients. We are growing in popularity, impact, and size by doing things the right way. The Freshpet way.
Freshpet embraces diversity and is an EOE/M/F/Disabilities/A/Veterans employer.