Pet Inspired. Employee Owned.
Make food that makes pets happy.
When we founded Freshpet, it was an opportunity to build something new. An innovative place to create the most real, fresh food for pets. A way to let employees own part of the company where they work. And a setting where each day is another chance to be inspired and do what’s best for Pets, People, and Planet. Are you ready to start fresh?
The responsibilities of the R&D Nutritional Laboratory Analyst will include:
• Organize and maintain a sanitary and safe Nut Lab plus clean work environment.
• Calibrate and maintain laboratory instruments. Prepare and calibrate reagents; ensure that necessary laboratory supplies and equipment are available
• Prepare samples to perform analyses of products/ingredients as well as data entry.
• Conduct analysis (proximate, amino acids, vitamins, minerals, fatty acid profiles…)
• Develop new methods to help measure nutrients and product attributes.
• Organize workload according to business priorities.
• Deliver analytical results in a timely manner.
• Assists with equipment upgrades and new equipment needs.
• May at times be required to travel (0-30%) to various training programs, test runs, co-packers or suppliers. Travel mileage and meals will be compensated.
• Maintain abreast of relevant laboratory methodology and technology to keep business competitive and support innovation.
• Manage calibration programs for testing equipment, as well as organize any correlation studies with suppliers or co-manufacturers required to develop strong calibrations.
• Support R&D and QA activities related to ingredient and product testing for improvement and specification development, as well as new product development activities.
• Support analytical equipment troubleshooting and liaise with equipment manufacturers as required.
• Assist with consumer complaint investigations.
• Drive continuous improvement activities in sampling and testing programs.
• Assume additional related responsibilities, as necessary.
• Perform/support factory trials.
• Minimum 5 years of experience in food/pet food analyses required. • General laboratory and cleaning experience are preferred. • Prior R&D or QA preferred. • Excellent organizational skills, attention to detail, and capacity to multitask efficiently. • Ability to work in a team and adapt to dynamic work environment • Ability to interact effectively with individuals at all levels of the organization • Responds well to changing project priorities • Independently carry out assignments and review data for accuracy and trends and communicate any concerns • Able to work with fresh raw meats and other food ingredients • Physically capable of handling or transporting heavy boxes and/or ingredients (up to 40 lbs.) • Must have car to be able to ship/collect samples. • Must be able to withstand some occasional cold temperature (40° F), when needed to sort out products in refrigerator (max 3 hours). • Advanced skills working with quality systems and software programs supporting quality programs (LIMS) • Strong critical thinking • Understanding, compliance, and enforcement of food Good Manufacturing Practices • Able to work independently with little direct supervision. • Good interpersonal and communication skills • Sound ethics
• Bachelor’s Degree in science-related field (i.e. Food Science, Chemistry) plus 4 years minimum industry experience working in Food Safety/Quality Systems, in food or pet food manufacturing.
• PTO • 10 company paid holidays. • Medical/Dental/Vision Benefits • Company paid Basic/Accidental Life insurance • Company paid Short/Long term disability • Option for Employee paid Basic/Accidental Life insurance • Option for Employee paid Short/Long term disability • 401K – with up to 4% company match • Flexible Spending account • Restricted Stock Units • Tuition Reimbursement
We are Freshpet, a team of pet parents, pet lovers, and other folks dedicated to doing what’s best for Pets, People, and Planet. Our home office is in Secaucus, NJ. Our kitchen locations are in Bethlehem, PA and Ennis, TX. And our heart is in our work: Preparing the finest food for dogs and cats using only fresh, natural ingredients. We are growing in popularity, impact, and size by doing things the right way. The Freshpet way.
Freshpet embraces diversity and is an EOE/M/F/Disabilities/A/Veterans employer.